Posted by Sankar on May 5, 2006
With the election in Tamil Nadu almost here (May 8th) and that the election campaign about to end tomorrow, all the leaders/candidates are on a full swing to gather votes.
But that aside, I haven't come across an election like this before in my life where the parties are competing with each other in promising freebies upon coming to power. I don't have much information about past elections elections here, but to my knowledge this is reaching the limit. Even the parlimentary elections in 2004 did not have so many "freebie" promises.
Here's a small list of "freebie" promises by various parties.
- A free color TV to each family (DMK)
- 2 acres of agricultural land free to each family (DMK)
- 10 kgs of rice free through the PDS (AIADMK)
- 4 grams of gold in the form of Thali (equivalent to a ring in a marriage) for all brides getting married (AIADMK)
- A cow free of cost to each family (DMDK – Vijayakanth)
- The latest in the list that I just heard a few minutes back- A computer for every student who graduates from high school. (AIADMK)
Maybe there is more to the list. If anyone is aware, feel free to add them. In a way, it is good that the election day is near. Otherwise, who knows what these people will come up next 🙂